Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Vendor Post #10 - Hand & Shadow



Tell us about your work and what we can expect to see at this years Handmade Hamilton?

I make screen printed garments.  T-shirts and cotton scarves, but this year some new fabrics-sweatshirts and some wool scarves.

What does your process look like?

With the botanical images, I collect them, scan them and build the images that way. Other images are hand drawn. I make my screens with these.  And then I either print onto pre made blanks or print fabric that will be sewn later. The ink I use removes the dye from the fabric, which leaves the image soft and there are all sorts of print variations that I love!

What are your inspirations?

With the botanical work, definitely Victorian cyanotypes.  And generally nature both being in it, and the way it is depicted. I'm a very visual person, I collect a lot of images and I think they all inform my work in some way.  And even the textures of certain materials inspire me.

Tell us some of your favourite things about Hamilton?

Good people, good food. I lived out west for a long time and I really missed the red brick!

How has Hamilton's art and craft scene changed in the past 5 years?
It's grown exponentially! There are always new people moving here, and new people getting involved.

What are your favourite books? Movies? Music?

How many pages can I take up?
Books(fiction): The City & The City by China Mieville and  The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Books(Non-Fiction): A Perfect Red by Amy Butler Greenfield and any illustrated book of botanicals, birds or animals! 

Movies: The Extraordinary Adventures of Adรจle Blanc-Sec, Flirting, And then There Were None (BBC)

Music: (This week) Helen Money, Phillip Glass, Neko Case, Thin Lizzy.


No comments:

Post a Comment