Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Vendor Profile #1: All Sorts Press

For the next few weeks we will be posting vendor profiles. At Handmade Hamilton we believe that the magic of local markets is meeting the people who create all of the beautiful things. Makers spend a lot of time creating and scheming to present the final products that you will see at the Market! We have asked them a handful of questions and we hope that you enjoy learning more about some of Hamilton's finest makers! - Lisa

Tell us about your creative work and what we can expect to see at Handmade Hamilton. 

I specialize in letterpress printing and make small printed matter using my antique press; cards, notebooks, prints, and calendars! I often print from printing plates of my illustrations, hand-set type, or lino carvings using bright colours and patterns, and simple heartfelt messages.



What does your creative process look like?

Everything is printed, folded, assembled, etc, by hand! My machines are old and human-powered, so the work is labour-intensive but the end result is worth it. Once a design is settled, I mix my ink by eye, apply it to the press and print from either a custom printing plate or hand-set type. Only one colour can be printed at a time, so that means cleaning the press and doing a completely new set-up for each colour of each print. I feed each sheet into the press by hand as my food maintains the press momentum with a treadle. 


What inspires you to create the work that you do?

Ultimately I've always been inspired creatively by nature, but in the past fews years I've been embracing brighter and bolder patterns and colours. When it comes to printing, I'm just straight-up obsessed (haha) - everything about the medium is inspiring - the machines, the ink, the paper, the tools, I love it all! :)

What are some of your favourite podcasts or music to listen to when you create?

Music for chill studio nights lately has been a mix of Charlotte Day Wilson, Jennifer Castle, Stephen Steinbrink, João Gilberto.


Instagram: @allsortspress

No comments:

Post a Comment